Friday, March 18, 2011

BREAKING: WEST COAST HIP-HOP HOOK MAN NATE DOGG, DEAD AT 41






Fans and celebrities alike are in shock as word spread that Hip-Hop artist and vocalist Nate Dogg passed away on Tuesday, confirmed by his road manager, Rod McGrew. Nate Dogg, born Nathaniel D. Hale, suffered strokes in both 2007 and 2008, but his death has been attributed to "complications from multiple strokes". 


Hale – who was the legendary master of the rap hook - exploded onto the music scene as "Warren G's" partner-in-crime on the hit "Regulate". He is also famously known for his appearance on "Dr. Dre’s" seminal album “The Chronic,” and also provided vocals for a number of rappers including: his high school friend "Snoop Dogg", "Kurupt", "Tupac Shakur", "Eminem", "Ludacris", and "50 Cent". 

Hale began singing as a child in a Long Beach, California Baptist church where his father was the pastor. When he was 16, he dropped out of high school and joined the Marines where he served for three years. When Dr. Dre heard a demo by "213" (group included himself, Snoop Dogg, and Warren G) he was intrigued, and began to work with the group. Hale went on to make three solo albums, but was best known for his collaborative work, singing hooks on other rappers' songs. The biggest tracks to feature Nate Dogg, a four-time Grammy nominee, include Dr. Dre's "The Next Episode," Ludacris' "Area Codes," 50 Cent's "21 Questions," and Eminem's "Shake That".

Of course, the loss of Nate Dogg has reverberated throughout the hip-hop community and beyond, (some comments via twitter):

"We lost a true legend n hip hop n rnb. One of my best friends n a brother to me since 1986 when I was a sophomore at poly high where we met, U will always b wit me 4ever n a day u put the g n g funk u put the 1 n 213 n u put yo stamp on evrybdy u ever didit wit. I miss u cuzz I am so sad but so happy I got to grow up wit u and I will c u again n heaven cuz u know d slogan all doggs go to heaven" ... Snoop Dogg

“There is a certain void in hip hop's heart that can never be filled. Glad we got to make history together.” ... Ludacris

 "Nate Dogg... freshness period. rest in beats." ...Erykah Badu

-Side Note- I just wanted to say how much of an influence this man has had on my life. I can remember growing up, I was trying to sing and get my voice heard, and was very embarrassed at the way I sounded. I mean I had a very high voice (kind of like a Justin Timberlake, or a Ne-Yo) and when I first heard his voice on the radio, it made me think. We all have a unique sounding voice, and all we have to do is have enough confidence to let that voice be heard. With a little ability, we can all have a great distinctive type of voice that people can gravitate to. And for that I thank you Nate Dogg. R.I.P. my brotha.



"If this were my world things would go my way. Every single day I'd have one more day." ... Nate Dogg

No comments:

Post a Comment